To be adopted on the ninth of March 2012
The name of the Association is the European Dermatoepidemiology Network (hereafter referred to as "EDEN").
Subject to the matter set out below the Organisation and its property shall be administered and managed in accordance with this constitution by the members of the Steering Committee.
EDEN can be seen as a European initiative aimed at:
- improving the role of epidemiology in dermatology
- sharing expertise
- producing high quality work
- contacting isolated groups and encouraging them to join in.
In furtherance of the objectives but not otherwise the Steering Committee may exercise the following powers:
- power to raise funds and to invite and receive contributions provided that in raising funds the Steering Committee shall not undertake any substantial permanent trading activities and shall conform to any relevant requirements of the law;
- power to appoint and constitute such advisory committees as the Steering Committee may think fit;
- power to do all such other lawful things as is necessary for the achievement of the objects.
- EDEN is not a society with a (paid) membership.
- The Steering Committee consists of around 18 members. The members participate in Project Groups that aim to perform high quality research. Some Project Groups are in charge of training, the website group and congress organization. Colleagues from different European countries participate, with a specific interest in the epidemiology of skin diseases, including clinical epidemiology, intervention studies and trials, prevention, and health services research. Specific contacts and future members of the Steering Committee will be nominated by the Steering Committee members and agreed by a majority of the committee.
- Criteria for joining are having a track record in the area, having shown interest in attending EDEN and be able to contribute by leading a group.
- The Project Group leader will exchange information with the Steering Committee and coordinates the groups.
- EDEN will be part of the International Dermato-Epidemiology Association (IDEA) – an umbrella organization of dermato-epidemiology groups across the world.
F. Honorary Officers
Members of the Steering Committee shall elect from amongst themselves a Chairperson and an Executive Group who shall hold office from the conclusion of that meeting. The Chairperson of the Steering Committee will be in charge for three years.
G. Steering committee
- The Steering Committee consists of around 18 members including representatives of the Project Groups.
- The proceedings of the Steering Committee shall not be invalidated by any vacancy among their number or by any failure to appoint or any defect in the appointment or qualification of a member.
- Steering Group Membership: A regular attendance at the Steering Group Annual Working Meetings is expected by the group. A steering group member should attend at least every 3rd meeting.
H. Meetings and proceedings of the Steering Committee
- The Steering Committee shall at least hold one ordinary meeting each year. A special meeting may be called at any time by the Chairman or by any two members of the Steering Committee upon not less than 4 days’ notice being given to the other members of the Steering Committee of the matters to be discussed.
- The Steering Committee will decide on initiatives that will lead to the establishment of Project Groups.
- Each Project Group leader and representative will be part of the Steering Committee.
- The Chairman shall act as Chairman at meetings of the Steering Committee. If the Chairman is absent from any meeting, the members of the Steering Committee present shall choose one of their number to be Chairman of the meeting before any other business is transacted.
- There shall be a quorum when at least one third of the number of members of the Steering Committee for the time being or four members of the Steering Committee, whichever is the greater, are present at a meeting.
- Every matter shall be determined by a majority of votes of the members of the Steering Committee present and voting on the question but in the case of equality of votes the Chairman of the meeting shall have a second or casting vote.
- 7. The Steering Committee through its secretary shall keep minutes of the proceedings at meetings of the Steering Committee.
- 8. The Steering Committee may, from time to time, make and alter rules for the conduct of their business, the summoning and conduct of their meetings and the custody of documents. No rule may be made which is inconsistent with this constitution.
I. Receipts and expenditure
The funds of the Organisation, including all donations, contributions and bequests, shall be paid into an account operated by the Steering Committee in the name of the organisation at such bank as the Steering Committee shall, from time to time, decide. All cheques drawn on the account must be signed by at least two members of the Steering Committee.
The EDEN Executive Committee will meet twice a year for business meetings. EDEN scientific meetings will be held annually and may be organised to form part of the European Society of Dermatological Research (ESDR) or whatever major European scientific meeting is deemed to be most appropriate for a particular year. Workshops may also be held at other relevant clinical meetings such as the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology annual meeting. EDEN will also meet at three yearly intervals as part of International Dermato-epidemiology Association (IDEA).
K. Alterations to the Constitution
Subject to the following provisions of this clause, the Constitution may be altered by a resolution passed by not less than two thirds of the members present and voting at a Steering meeting. The notice of the Steering meeting must include notice of the resolution, setting out the terms of the alteration proposed.
This constitution was adopted on the date mentioned above by the persons whose signatures appear at the bottom of this document.